Friday, September 26, 2008

On A Lighter Note . . .

This year, Rachel, our 10-year old daughter, is in 5th grade. She is especially having a great time this year, because this is the year they give students the opportunity to start learning how to play a musical instrument. We didn't even have to encourage her. She wanted to, no question. After a few weeks of mouthpiece testing with the band teacher, Rachel seems best suited for playing the french horn. Luckily, the school loaned us a french horn for her to use. So Rachel carries her french horn case to and from school most days. It's great to see her so excited. She seems to have the drive and motivation to really excel with it, like everything else in school.

This is one of those reflective moments for me. You know, when your kids get old enough and go through some similar experiences you went through when you were their age, etc. I can't help but think back to when I got my trumpet (thanks, Mom). I was in sixth grade in Prosser, Washington (Housel Middle School). That was the beginning of a very enjoyable school music "career". Carmichael Middle School and Richland High School in Richland, Washington, and lastly Mountain Crest High School in Hyrum, Utah. Concert Band, Pep Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, School Musical Pits. Fun times, great memories.

Good luck, Rachel! Have a wonderful time! :)

3 comments:

Sonja said...

I'm sure Rachel will learn to appreciate music the way you did. It's so good for her mind, I remember most of the kids in choir or band were really smart.

Jason and Jessie Cook said...

Well I had to tag 6 people and I tagged you. I hope you don't mind. Check out my blog to see what to do. You don't have to if you don't want to though. Hope you are all doing great.

Jordan said...

I played the French Horn all through high school- loved it! Tell her to keep it up.